Blog Archive

Sewing Miette - Part 2

Hello!  Here we are again, Miette and I!

Following on from my last post, I wanted to remake Miette, from Tilly and the Buttons, but with the edge of the flap on the straight grain, and cut in a larger size.

The first one I made is very wearable, but I felt I would prefer these two tweaks.  Rather than cut into the replacement gorgeous chambray I bought, I found a piece of boring grey fabric in my stash, so decided I would experiment with that.

I cut the front, waistband and ties the same, but, as I said above, cut the edge of the backs on the straight grain.  

As I started to sew it together I realised I was in danger of sewing myself a school skirt, which, when you work in a school like I do, isn't great really!  Fortunately I hadn't got too far so I decided to add a little bit of machine embroidery to the ties.  I found a nice border pattern on my new machine (LOVE my new machine!) and repeated it to make it longer.



I made the rest of the skirt according to the pattern, with the exception of a small sway back adjustment, which I did by raising the backs in a gentle curve, to about 1/2" higher at the deepest point, when attaching to the waistband.  

I am really pleased with the changes, and plan to make lots more!

Next time (just because I can't leave things alone!) I am going to use the grain of the fabric on the back to mark the true straight grain of the centre back, and then mark that on the pattern.  I'll let you know!


I love Tilly's exaggerated A line shape

It does hang straight, (promise!) but in trying to show you the back I didn't realise I was tugging it out of shape!

A much wider flap, which I like


A close up of the embroidery

Oh, and I can vouch for the fact the skirt doesn't cause any 'flashing' as I wore it on a very windy day in the Peak District on the weekend and my modesty was fully preserved!  More about the Peak District in my next post...

Donna x 

2 comments:

  1. Hi - your skirt is gorgeous!
    Mwhen you say you adjusted for the sway back - did you make the waistband narrower at the centre back by the half inch, or did you literally take out a curved wedge from the top of each back panel when sewing, rather than cutting the curved wedges?

    I’m about to sew this skirt for the first time and I have the same isssue with a sway back, all my skirts pull and ride up on that one area 🙁

    Thank you for reading x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, and thank you! I did a very easy sway back adjustment on Miette, which was to raise the centre back of the skirt by half an inch when I pinned it to the waistband, and then taper it out smoothly to nothing at the side seams. As this has a back flap too, i.e., two layers, I did it on both pieces. Do you let me know how you get on with sewing your Miette. It's a lovely pattern and I have plans to make many more! Donna x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!